FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How can Pilates help me?
- Sitting for hours each day, doing very little exercise and hunched over a computer at your desk 5 days a week? Sound familiar?
- Think about what this does to your posture.
- You were designed to move and not to sit still. Sitting and moving very little means you get sore, tight, stiff, aches and pains.
- Without flexibility and balance, your body won't function properly and this will show up somewhere in your body at some point.
- Without a strong core, you end up tight in some areas and weak in others and prone to injury.
- Pilates helps prevent all these issues.
What are your classes like?
- I specialise in teaching Pilates to mums and beginners (people who are completely new to it or have only done a few classes) and help you to improve and develop to an intermediate level.
- Small, local and friendly classes
- Lots of individual attention
- A personal touch
- Fun whilst feeling like you've worked hard at the same time.
- You are likely to live in Balham, Clapham, Earlsfield, Tooting or Wandsworth Common
- Professionals with a busy work life
- Pregnant, postnatal mums or mums with children at nursery or school
- People with an injury which you've had physiotherapy for
- Sufferers of back, hip or knee pain and possibly had surgery
Which class is best for me?
- You are welcome to come to any of the classes I teach on the day/time/location that suits you best!
- If you are out at work all day, you may prefer the evening classes as you can come straight after work and relieve the stresses of your day.
- If you are too busy during the week or work late, you may prefer the Saturday morning classes as you get your exercise done early and then feel set up for the rest of the weekend.
- If you're a Mum, you may like the weekday morning classes as you can drop your older children off at nursery/school and then have some 'me' time.
- If you're pregnant or postnatal, I have some specific classes for you. Postnatal mums can bring their babies too. You can also come to any of my other classes as I'll adapt the exercises so they are safe for you to do whatever stage of pregnancy or however many weeks postnatal you are.
What happens in the class?
Before your first class, I explain:
- The main Pilates principles
- How to breathe correctly
- How to get the most from the exercises.
- It makes your first class easier as you'll know what to expect and how to do the basics.
During the class:
- We start with getting into the correct posture and breathing correctly.
- Explain the technique of the exercise
- We then do a 5 minute warm up to stretch the muscles we are going to use for the main Pilates exercises.
- I show you how to do each of the exercises so you can watch what to do and then I explain the technique and how each of the exercises help you.
- I guide you through each exercise, explaining the starting position and teaching you the movement and breathing.
- I walk around to observe your technique.
- I make sure you are in the right position, correcting you if necessary to ensure you get the most out of each exercise and class.
- I explain different levels of the exercise so that you can work at your level in every class and make the exercise easier or harder depending on how you are finding it.
- We build the exercises up each week as your core muscles get stronger and you get more familiar with the exercises.
- We end with a 5 minute cool down and stretching exercises.
- I keep the classes small (average 7-8 people) so that I can help everyone individually during the class.
- All equipment is provided.
I get to know you to understand your needs so I can tailor the exercises to you. By suggesting different levels, walking around and making adjustments, it means everyone benefits from every class, no matter how strong or experienced you are.
Are classes available at other times?
- Pilates classes will be set up on other days and times based on demand.
- If you can't make any of the classes I currently teach but would like to do classes on another day, please let me know and I will look to set up a class.
- I will advertise the class and will set it up subject to a minimum of 6 people being able to attend.
Are classes available in other locations?
I currently teach in:
- Balham/Wandsworth Common
- Northcote Road
If you would be interested in attending classes in another location, please contact me by clicking on the 'Contact Me' button below:
Do you teach intermediate/advanced levels?
- Most people who join are beginners so I specialise in teaching beginners.
- However, I do have mixed abilities in my classes, so I adapt the exercises for anyone who is more experienced.
- Everyone can then work at their current level whilst progressing to the next level.
What happens if I can't make a class?
- If you are unable to come to the class, please give 24 hours notice wherever possible.
- Costs are non-refundable.
- However, you can rebook classes for another time, if 24 hours notice is given.
- If less than 24 hours or no notice is given of non-attendance, you will need to forgo the class and still incur the cost of it. This is because I am generally unable to fill your space at short notice.
What can I do if I can't commit to a course of classes?
- If you are unable to commit to a full course, then you can attend drop in classes as and when you can, subject to space being available.
- Please book in advance of the class to secure a space.
- Whilst you won't progress as quickly or gain maximum benefit if you don't do Pilates weekly, you will still gain some benefit by attending on an ad-hoc basis. I recommend that you commit to attending regularly to get the best results.
Got a question that isn't covered above? Just click on the button below to send me a message